Monday, September 26, 2011

Unusually Silly Decor!

When decorating, I find it much more entertaining to keep a sense of humor, whimsy and a little bit of happiness inserted in design.  It is fun to surprise others and make them smile.  All over the loft, we have elements of silliness.  We just can't take ourselves to seriously.

This deer rack (?) just cracks me up. We are not the hunter types. This, in my house, just makes me smile strangely.  We got this from my new found birth mother & her boyfriend.  The day I met her, my daughter was fascinated by the deer head in their living room.  They told her it got stuck halfway in running through the house. This reminds me of that day meeting her.  I remember a letter she wrote me when I was born said she liked to decoupage, so I always thought I would like to do that because it must be in my genes.  I wanted something to make us all smile and think of that day and my new found relationship with her.

We are suckers when we see a unique sign. This one was found on first weekends in KC where there is a tremendous following for finding treasures in the west bottoms area.  We got it as a wedding present to ourselves...we thought it would make a crazy headboard! Since both sides are funny, we decided to hang it so you could see both sides.  The other side says "Whirls for the Girls".  I like the "OH BABY WHAT A Sensation" side the best.  Perhaps because of our love of advertising and signage, we tend to like our art spelled out with words.

We just giggled when we thought of this in our non-traditional bathroom. Bathroom humor makes everyone chuckle with a little awkwardness while their eyes wonder in deep thought on the pot.  It's great to see peoples reaction to it. I think we leave it there for some shock value.

More bathroom humor. We can't get enough of it. Sometimes it's on the entrance to our bathroom...other times it's by the tee pee paper. Shhh!!!! Quiet on the potty chair! 

Inspiration for a shower...need I say more. So cute.

Yes, of  course this hangs over the toilet...duh!!!

Time limit on the toilet. I know...this is getting out of hand. We have a parking meter there often as well. Pay for your time....time limit expires and you get a ticket!

Another crazy sign we couldn't pass up for it's uniqueness. Could you imagine this?

We hide "the hand" all over the house to surprise each other. Sometimes it's peaking from under a towel, around a mirror, under a pillow or bed. It's just out silly way of having fun. I know....we're an interesting family.  "The hand" even follows us in suitcases to make us laugh out loud when we are unpacking somewhere.  It's our way of saying I love you...with the dead looking creepy hand.

Admit only one in the bathroom.  
We don't follow the sign's instructions very well most of the time.  

Need I say more? Enough said.

And the ever cool CAMPUS QUEEN lunchpail, complete with thermos inside! I'm waiting for my daughter to appreciate this enough to want to use it at school just to be a little different than a disney princess bag for a change. Until then, it's on my shelf by my chair...because it makes me smile! 

I'm sure there are many that don't share our sense of humor in decorating, but smiling at silly things around you isn't so horrible. Lighten up a little. Live a little. 
And...as my hubby always says...
HAVE FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment